The specs on the iPhone 4S’s new camera does sound impressive? 8 megapixels, 1080p video, f/2.4 lens, improved image stabilization and LED flash. The description at Apple’s Web site might seems mouth-watering for most of "us", and the non-retouched images taken by the 4S are beautiful.
- Industry-first imaging sensor which is FULLY optimised for BOTH 16:9 AND 4:3 images
- Industry-leading Carl Zeiss optics
- Super wide-angle optics – the widest in the industry. Up to as much as 60% more viewing area than other broadly comparable devices
- f/2.2 aperture – largest ever in a mobile device and Focal length of 3.77mm / 28mm.
- Extremely responsive, especially switching from stills to video and vice-versa and shot to shot
- Touch AF for both video and stills
- Full time continuous AF in BOTH video and stills plus face detection
- HD video with stereo audio (still one of very few devices that provide high quality audio recording in video)
- Seamless workflows optimised for speed or editing & sharing
- Zoom in to images directly in the post capture view, edit and share all without leaving the camera – the most seamless mobile imaging experience
- Non-destructive editing of images – go back to the original image at any time. Undo or redo edits even months later
- New high power dual LED flash – 20% more powerful than our previous most powerful LED flash despite its compact size
- Geo tagging with place names rather than just co-ordinates
- AMBR – Automatic Motion Blur Reduction
- Not forgetting the touch to share of images between handsets using NFC technology
In other words :
- 28mm wide angle Carl Zeiss Optics. Oh that will be unique to Nokia too. It means you can get more in every picture/video
- True 16:9 video/image capture, which NO OTHER smartphone on the planet can do
- The N9's aperture is f/2.2 everyone, that means the N9 camera receives more light than the new iPhone 4s (Apple needed 73% more light from larger f/2.4 aperture to compensate for smaller pixels)
But ! I hate to say it, but for the average user, the iPhone 4S’s camera will, in many ways, be fine knowing how Apple tunes pictures to look vivid but is that what you want? Don't worry Nokia lovers because all N9 camera goodness will make it to other devices from Nokia !