Monday, March 29, 2010

TouchSearch 2.2 Released : Quick Bar Feature added !

Posted on 4:05 AM by SlipKoRnSaad

(Taken from maemomagazine origanl post) Although this is mostly a bug-fix release, there is one nifty feature that I would like to talk to you about. It is called the “TouchSearch Quick Bar” and adds keyword based searches to TouchSearch.

One of my users gave me the idea (thanks, evad!) and here is how it works: it allows you to search any of your other search engines by adding a certain prefix to your query. For example, let’s say you find it a bit too time consuming to change search engines every time you want to search a different site. This gives you the ability to use a single search engine, and “change” them by adding a letter at the beginning of your search query. Here are a couple screen shots to demonstrate;

I have selected the QuickBar as my current search engine:



Let’s say I want to search Ebay for, I don’t know, shoes. What I would do is enter “e shoes” as my query.



The “e” tells TouchSearch I want search ebay.com and will automatically by stripped from my query. Shoes, obviously, is what I actually want to search for. When you hit return, TouchSearch magically directs you to ebay’s results page for “shoes”.



And this works for all your search engines. “a” for Amazon, “w” for Wikipedia, “gm” for Google Maps, and so on and so forth. If you enter no prefix or “g”, Google is queried. Additionally, you can change which prefixes are used and add your own to your custom search engines.

How do you get this feature? First, install TouchSearch 2.2. Like I mentioned, it should be available in the next 24 hours or so. Secondly, if this is the first time you’ve installed TouchSearch, you should see the QuickBar available right after installation. If you are upgrading from an older version of TouchSearch, you may need import this search engine into your current database. Do this by:
  • Going into Desktop Edit mode (tap the desktop, then tap the little gear)
  • Tap on the wrench next to TouchSearch > Configure > Merge > Yes.
That should import all new search engines (including the QuickBar) into your current database.

No Response to "TouchSearch 2.2 Released : Quick Bar Feature added !"

Leave A Reply